French peacekeeper killed in southern Lebanon
President Macron blames the attack on Hezbollah. The Iran-backed armed group denies "any connection" to the incident.
Coverage by Political Leaning
See how different sides of the spectrum reported this story
Key People
No people linked to this story
Locations
All Coverage
President Macron blames the attack on Hezbollah. The Iran-backed armed group denies "any connection" to the incident.
A French soldier was killed and three others wounded when a U.N. peacekeeping patrol in southern Lebanon came under small arms fire. President Macron attributed responsibility to Hezbollah, which denied involvement and called for a full investigation by Lebanese authorities.
French President Emmanuel Macron confirmed the death of Staff Sergeant Florian Montorio and the injury of three other soldiers during an attack on U.N. peacekeepers in southern Lebanon. Macron suggested Hezbollah's involvement and urged Lebanese authorities to arrest those responsible.
A UNIFIL patrol came under small-arms fire while clearing explosive ordnance in the southern Lebanese village of Ghandouriyeh, resulting in one peacekeeper's death and three others wounded. UNIFIL indicated the fire came from non-state actors, allegedly Hezbollah, and launched an investigation into the attack.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam condemned the attack on French UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon and ordered an immediate investigation to uncover the circumstances and hold the perpetrators accountable.
A French peacekeeper was killed, and three others were wounded in an attack on a United Nations peacekeeping patrol in southern Lebanon. President Emmanuel Macron confirmed the death and blamed Hezbollah, while the group denied involvement and called for a thorough investigation.
A French soldier with the UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon was killed, and three others were wounded in an attack that UNIFIL and French officials attribute to Hezbollah.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemns the killing of a French peacekeeper in southern Lebanon and urges all parties to respect the ceasefire.
French President Macron attributes the killing of a French UNIFIL soldier in southern Lebanon to Hezbollah and calls for Lebanese authorities to arrest those responsible.
Similar Stories
Related coverage based on topic and tags
Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say
Israel's military said it had struck "Hezbollah terror infrastructure" in response to what it described as an earlier action against its soldiers.
August 15, 2026 at 12:25 PMLebanon says Israeli strikes in south of the country kill at least 11 - Reuters
Lebanon says Israeli strikes in south of the country kill at least 11 Reuters
August 15, 2026 at 06:33 PMIsraeli strike kills seven in south Lebanon, state news reports - Reuters
Israeli strike kills seven in south Lebanon, state news reports Reuters
August 15, 2026 at 10:41 AMPresidential pardon for French alleged spy accused of plotting Mali coup
France is yet to comment on Yann Vezilier's pardon and previously called the accusations "unfounded".
August 13, 2026 at 03:50 PMIran says two French embassy employees barred from returning - Reuters
Iran says two French embassy employees barred from returning Reuters
August 17, 2026 at 09:41 AMFrench ambassador to CAR accused of bringing women to official residence faces disciplinary action
The accusations against Bruno Foucher prompted investigations into a potential security breach.
August 13, 2026 at 08:15 AM